The most anticipated feature of Go 1.16 is the addition to the Go tooling, and standard library, that allow for embedding static content into binaries. While it is tempting to start playing with this new toy right away, it is important to understand how it works first. In this article we are going to take a look at the new io/fs package introduced in Go 1.16 to support embedding.
Iota is a useful concept for creating incrementing constants in Go. However, there are several areas where iota may not be appropriate to use. This article will cover several different ways in which you can use iota, and tips on where to be cautious with it's use.
If you haven't worked in a typed language before, it may not be obvious at first the power that it brings. This article will show you how to leverage the type system to make your code easier to use and more reusable.
The art of writing software is the act of communication. You might feel that this is a private conversation about your code with a persnickety compiler, but the audience for software is much larger. It’s the people who use your libraries and your APIs, the folks who work with you maintaining the codebase, and it's you, in the future, searching for clues about why you wrote what you wrote the way you wrote it. This talk is all about naming. It’s about the names we give to things in our programs and how those decisions can affect the maintainability of the software we write.
The process of writing a unit test usually follows a certain set of steps. First, we set up dependencies of the unit under test. Next, we execute the unit of logic under test. We then compare the results of that execution to our expectations. Finally, we tear down any dependencies and restore the environment to the state we found it so as not to affect other unit tests. In Go 1.14, the testing package now includes a method, testing.(*T).Cleanup , which aims to make creating and cleaning up dependencies of tests easier.
I recently had a friend come to me and mention that their website I created for them years ago needed some updating. After looking at it, it was clear it was time for an update. This article will walk through the design decisions and technical challenges that I needed to address in bringing their site up to some modern standards.